32 Acres | 2 Residences | Winery & Wine Cave | Offering Price 18,500,000
At an unprecedented moment, and for the first time in its history, an exceptional sanctuary is available for the most discerning. Set on a sundrenched, tree-dotted slope of West Marin’s iconic Black Mountain, overlooking the Nicasio reservoir, West Wind Estate and Winery offers 32 acres of privacy and quality.
- This ultimate West Marin compound provides unsurpassed infrastructure for an off-the-grid experience: solar array, well and spring water, generators, electric car chargers, and private roads.
- Built with authentic, highest-quality Japanese construction, both the main residence and guest residence were designed to harmonize with the natural environment, blending the line between outdoors and indoors.
- Led by a world-renowned master craftsman, the team used sustainable, energy-efficient materials such as old-growth Port Orford cedar, copper roofs, cherry wood floors, and integral-color plaster.
- West Wind’s winery and a 2400 square foot wine cave – believed to be the only cave of its kind in Marin – include catering facilities and have hosted many events.
- Two acres of planted Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc, as well as orchards of Italian olive trees and fruit trees, supply the estate’s wines and pressed olive oils.
- Multiple accessory buildings, such as an art studio/workshop, a Japanese Kura or treasure house (construction to be completed Spring 2021), and a barn, offer many possibilities.
- Exquisite formal Japanese gardens, Koi ponds, and walking paths beckon.
- On-property recreational opportunities abound, including hiking, cycling, bocce, and swimming in the 50,000-gallon pool.
- Equestrian facilities are nearby.
- Only 20 minutes by car to Highway 101, and yet a world apart, West Wind Estate offers the ultimate retreat.
West Wind Estate and Winery Features
Main Residence 3,000 sf
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths
- Concrete and cherry flooring, radiant heat, custom LED lighting, high end kitchen appliances and amenities, shoji screened windows, built in media center and home AV.
- 2-car garage with Tesla chargers
- Spring fed 50,000 gallon swimming pool
- Bocce Court
- Formal Japanese garden
Guest House 2,200 sf
- 2 bedrooms, 2 baths
- Traditional Japanese genkan, Cherry hardwood flooring, high end appliances and amenities, including Japanese soaking bath, shoji screened windows, and customized pantry/laundry
- 2-car carport
- Japanese landscape gardening including koi ponds and fountain
- Built-in barbeque
Art Studio/Workshop 660 sf
- 12-foot doors and concrete flooring with radiant heating, copper roof, detailing and siding
- Loft area, built in worktables and storage, 110v & 220v power, vacuum system and air compressor
Winery 1,800 sf
- Minka Style with dramatic 20 ft. ceilings and large custom doors, concrete flooring with radiant heating and custom lighting
- Kitchen and full bath with many custom features plus entertaining space, WIFI, security cameras
Wine Cave 2,400 sf
- 12 ft. ceiling, large custom metal doors, energy efficient lighting, humidity controlled, custom wine bar and event space, custom kitchen prep area with commercial sink, refrigerator/freezer/stovetop wine and other storage area
- Authentic Japanese construction building with custom energy efficient lighting, uphill from the guesthouse and near a seasonal stream
Kura (traditional Japanese treasure house)
- Dramatic 22’ ceiling, made of durable materials and used to house winemaking, olive oil and other agricultural supplies and equipment.
Tractor Barn/Workshop 400 sf agricultural building
- 10 ft. ceiling with steel shingle roof, concrete floors, barn doors, 110v and 220v power, plumbing bibs, steel trolleys for moving equipment
- 2-acre pinot noir and cabernet franc vineyard with 777 Clone for coastal climate (1,800 vines)
- Mature olive and fruit tree orchard
- Propane/Generator shed houses the propane tank and a 10Kw generator with room for storage
- 17 Kw solar array
- Well and 5000 gallon Water Tank (with UV light driven ozone water treatment system)
- Greenhouse in vineyard is temperature, light and humidity controlled with electricity and irrigation
- Security gate and call box
Nicasio is Marin County’s premiere rural residential community, covering thousands of agricultural acres dedicated to a variety of farming and cultivation. With about 250 homes dotting its countryside, the bucolic hamlet is the home of third, fourth and fifth generation ranching families.
Additionally, there’s an impressive group of equestrian facilities, its best known possibly Halleck Creek Ranch and its club of physically challenged riders. Also, Nicasio School offers innovative lessons like sending seeds into space through NASA and subsequently planting them on campus. And, Nicasio is the setting of filmmaker George Lucas’s (now Disney) Skywalker Ranch.
An idyllic town square is at Nicasio’s heart, where kids play Little League in the green field surrounded by landmark buildings including 153-year-old St. Mary’s Church and the original Druid’s Hall, plus the legendary music and restaurant venue Rancho Nicasio.
Nicasio blankets over 36 square miles and is the geographic center of Marin, neighboring some 350,000 acres of coastal parkland and open space. From east to west it provides a gradual transition from urban Marin to the untamed Pt Reyes National Seashore.
With its proximity to San Francisco, and especially in our modern era, Nicasio offers tranquil respite.
Golden Gate Sotheby’s International Realty
Golden Gate Sotheby’s International Realty